Wednesday, June 13, 2007

stone circle


Many years ago as a very young artist, I invented the stone circle. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed to find that I wasn’t the first. In fact it had been done many times before. I have since enjoyed the works of Richard Long, and admired his stone circles in many museums, including our own Johnson Museum . And one of my favorite sculptors, Andy Goldsworthy, has done many amazing circles in stone as well as other media.
Despite the fact that others have proceeded me, (probably for millennia), I still am fascinated by circles in landscaping. I have a large raised-bed garden in the form of a circle.
And now I have just finished a circular patio in flagstone. I took this picture before it was covered by furniture (the reason it was built in the first place). It shows some of the stonework detail. In the cold months with the furniture gone it will once again become “sculpture”.

No comments: